Thursday, September 4, 2014

Does Attribution Really Matter?

I would argue that it does, especially in our line of work.  However, I have recently learned that this is not a mindset pervasive in our world.  And my question is, "Why not?"

I have the privilege of working with some of the most talented people I've ever known, and while you might think this has something to do with loyalty or friendship, it doesn't.  I think one of the reasons I was drawn to teaching is the fact that is requires constant self-improvement, collaboration, research, learning, failing, leading, and well...you know..all that other stuff.  Because of the nature of our work, most of us are fortunate to work with creative, intellectual people who truly value what we do as teachers, and learners.

Unfortunately, most people outside the realm of education have little (or a muddied) understanding  of the lengths we go to create the optimal learning environment for our students.  An amazing classroom is not the immaculate conception of a specific school or administration, but a Darwinian endeavor in exploration and curation of ideas.

So why then, are there educators out there who say "I don't need to give credit to anyone?"


I find this to be quite disheartening.  If we don't respect and honor what we do, then who will?  It is up to us to make sure that the world understands the toil beneath the books.  We are the creators of intellect, the great architects of dissonance, questioning, and the purveyors of knowledge.

But who will buy from us if we are stealing from each other???


No comments:

Post a Comment